Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fox News' Megyn Kelly Confronts Broward County School Superintendent Over Obama School Speech - Video 9/8/09

Here is video of Fox News' Megyn Kelly this morning confronting Broward County, Florida School Superintendent James Notter for his decision to make it mandatory for students to attend President Obama's "School Speech" today. He also says students will face penalties for not attending.

Kelly pressed him on why they are not making the event voluntary when Obama's own Secretary of Education has said it should be voluntary. Notter just kept repeating, "This is not an opt out part of our curriculum."

Kelly pointed out that Broward County is the only school district they know of in the country making this event mandatory with penalties for those who don't attend.

Anonymous,  September 8, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Having read the speech, I have to conclude that those who think it is indoctrination mainly oppose Obama because he is a black man talking to their white children.

I'm not saying this to insult conservatives, it is more of an observation from the last few months.

Anonymous,  September 8, 2009 at 11:14 AM

The speech you are reading is not the original speech planned. It has been toned down because of the outcry. Now the question is, will he give the speech as it is written online? Obama is a radical who gets his ideas straight from Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals. Could it be possible that maybe conservatives are against him because of his agenda? If it's because he's black, then why do these same people back Alan Keyes?

Samson Wright,  September 8, 2009 at 11:23 AM

This is not from "Anonymous." My names is Samson James Wright. I'm an old "white" guy.

I'm deeply offended to learn that because I disagree I'm racist.

Well, so much for the First Amendment. Want to bet I can "guess" your race and political leanings?

There goes diversity of opinion. Another victim of legitimate decent.

Anonymous,  September 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM

I am so tired of the race card being played when it is absolutely not true! Some of you drink the Obama koolaid that the MSM is pouring so think he can do no wrong. But there are many of us who know his background and ideology, we knew before the election, and now we are being proved right because of what he is trying to do to the country--straight from the Alinsky play book that radicals follow, Obama is one of them. So his skin color has nothing to do with this debate, it is his IDEOLOGY--he is trying to change America in a drastic way--you don't have more than 30 CZARS (and many with communist and super radical backgrounds) as your close advisors unless you have a radical agenda in mind. Wake up and wipe that koolaid smile off your faces!

Anonymous,  September 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM

BTW didn't Obama work with Bill Ayres on a grant that was used to radicalize kids in a Chicago school back when he was still a a "community organizer". This education thing is something that has been around for awhile, and Bill Ayres is a believer in teaching kids the radical liberal way as early as possible, so indoctrination is not that big a stretch knowing the ideology of Obama.

Austin Fitness Trainer September 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM

This is not an opt out situation, this is not an opt out situation...
Why not? His defense is feeble.

Anonymous,  September 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Thank you for your honesty. I suspect many, if not most conservatives feel this way but are too scared to admit that most of their opposition is due to a black man being president.

Anonymous,  September 8, 2009 at 12:35 PM

But you have to view this in the context that black leaders today are all about settling the score with whitey, and thus playing to their constituent's ideology, and therefore not truly being a leader of ALL the people.

We are talking mistrust by association of current experience, not historical racism based on skin color.

Anonymous,  September 8, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I was opposed to Obama's speech being made part of the school day in Texas. Having heard it, I thought the speech was pretty bland and wondered what about it made it worth taking thousands of teacher /student hours. I agree; I think the speech was altered from its original form.

But I remain opposed. Here's why:

1. It is a violation of federal law (lack of authority). This violation makes the next one just that much easier. (Reference: 20 U.S.C. § 3403 (Pub.L. 96-88, Title I, § 103, Oct. 17, 1979,
93 Stat. 670) United States Code Title 20. Education Chapter 48.
Department of Education Subchapter I.)

2. The whole package (speech and ancillary material /activities), as originally presented, showed a clear intent to politically indoctrinate and to focus the students towards personal allegiance to Obama's person. In my view, that poisoned the whole thing. Those who put this together have demonstrated themselves to be untrustworthy and should therefore not be trusted.

No Subject September 8, 2009 at 2:09 PM

It appears that superintendent James Notter seriously needs to be schooled about who he works for. The fact is that he and every employee of every school district in this country are first and foremost, employees of the citizens of their school districts. And if the boss says you will not force my child to participate in something I do not approve of, then he is obligated to either abide by what the boss has said, or quit and make way for someone who will obey the boss.

I see excellent grounds for a lawsuit here.

Anonymous,  September 8, 2009 at 2:25 PM

"Freedom's Lighthouse" my a**... I see you censored my post. There was absolutely nothing in it but the truth.

Some thin-skinned nazi complained and you are not courageous enough to take the heat and let the truth stand. The patriots of 1776 risked everything for truth and freedom... so Stop passing yourself off as a patriot site.

To the complainer.. too late. We are waking up.

Soup September 8, 2009 at 7:04 PM

This is what I have to say to Megyn Kelly:

If this had been President Bush during the height of yadda yadda, and a superintendent made the speech mandatory, would you have had that superintendent on the air with you grilling him in so single minded of a fashion as you have here?

And I pose this question to you, all you readers:
Do parents really have control over what their children are exposed to? Parents do not hold their children's hands every moment as they go through school. Parents are not there when the school bully is beating up some kid. Parents are not there when some student begins spewing racial comments. Parents are not there during the childish discussion of sex over the lunch table. Parents do not micro-manage what the teachers teach their children. They do not make sure every single sentence every teacher says to their child is appropriate.

So calm down.

Larry Taylor,  September 8, 2009 at 8:20 PM

as you can see ...I'm not an unamed Individual either ...

Why are there so many people that are so up in arms about the the prez and his speech...he is just presenting his point of view ....doesnt mean you have to believe it ...I had to sit thru the theory of Evolution too in high school...doesnt mean I believed it....its just a point of view from our prez...Thats all...it seems to me that if a lot of people engauged their brain before they open their mouths , this world would be better off! ! !

Diogenes September 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Gee, is it really THAT hard to say "I guess I was wrong"?

The speech wasn't "altered" due to the unflagging patriotic scrutiny from the rightwingnut brigade. If you bothered to look at tge White House website last week, as this "story" was first being manufactured, what the White House said the President would say is exactly what the President said. (How novel a concept!) And it's not "illegal"; that's truly laughable! Do you seriously believe that i's illegal for the President to speak to ANYBODY in the United States? If so, try some more electroshock therapy.

Face it, you Chicken Littles screwed up, and screwed up bad. It happens. Shrug it off, and move on. Life continues. Just learn from your mistakes.

VinceP1974 September 9, 2009 at 3:54 AM

Those of us who defend Liberty have nothing to apologize for.

Blame the Hussein for creating so much distrust over him. It's his fault

Anonymous,  September 9, 2009 at 7:51 AM

I wonder how many hours and thousands of dollars were spent on polling and focus groups for Democrats to choose that "teachable moment" phrase. He's obviously been briefed by the party to address any controversy by parroting that phrase.